Sunday, May 16, 2010

Unspeakable Sweetness of Love

"For as we advance in the religious life and in faith, our hearts expand and we run the way of God's commandments with unspeakable sweetness of love." --from the Rule of St. Benedict.


Today I had toast for breakfast. I went to morning mass. I had intended to get up early for the early morning service too but I didn't. Sleep is holy too. There were a few visitors at Mass so there were ten or twelve people there. Part way through mass I felt like I was having a low blood sugar issue. I sat there debating what to do. I was torn because I wanted to stay but I didn't want anything dramatic to happen. I thought I could make it it until communion but then I remembered that I couldn't have any so I slipped out, ran to the guest house and grabbed an orange which I ate while I quickly walked back to mass. No harm done but the lesson: take care of your body sufficiently enough that you don't have to miss mass. It's a good thing I'm not Catholic or I would have had to say some Hail Marys or something.

The front of the chapel
It was interesting to read the rule of St. Benedict regarding food and drink. It is much more flexible than one might think, making allowances for people with infirmities, or monks who have been doing lots of physical labor. Of course, the point is to be measured: "Above all things, however, over-indulgence must be avoided . . . for there is nothing so opposed to the Christian character as over-indulgence, according to our Lord's words, 'See to it that your hearts not be burdened with over-indulgence.'" That could be interpreted in another way too. How do I fill my heart until it is too full of feelings? Like watching mindless televison or taking on other people's burdens. But I digress.

I bought some wool made from these cotswold sheep!
It indicates that the monks should not eat four footed animals, which if available, does not exclude birds. The monks/nuns also eat in while listening to readings of past saints and scholars. "As to the things that they need while they eat and drink, let the brethren pass them to one another so that no one need ask for anything. If anything is needed, however, let it be asked for by means of some audible sign rather than by speech." I would love to see this in action! There is another section for drink.". . .We belive that a hemina of wine a day is sufficient for each." Wine was more sanitary than water I suppose. Does this mean that I can drink a hemina of wine a day for my project? Wait . . . what is a hemina? It goes on: ". . .The Superior shall used his judgment in the matter, taking care that there be no occasion for surfeit or drunkeness. We read that it is true, that wine is by no means a drink for monks, but since the monks of our day cannot be persuaded of this, let us at least agree to drink sparingly and not to saiety because 'wine makes even the wise fall away.'" This is classic. I can just hear the monks now: "No, it's fine. We'll be good. Just let us have a hemina a day. We won't get drunk, we promise."

I decided to take the the twelve-thirty ferry home. I had a long drive home and I had a non-monastery life to get back to. Lunch was an egg, cheese and sausage dish, you can't really go wrong there. I might have eaten more than the Rule would have approved of. The ferry ride back was nice. It wasn't too cold so I stood outside and watched the islands recede hoping I could go back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment